1864 - 1920 (56 years)
||John William Carlin [4, 5, 6] |
||24 Aug 1864
||Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States [6, 7, 8, 9]
||Bridge Street, Philadelphia, PA 
||6 Sep 1920
||Clayton, NJ 
||10 Sep 1920
||North Cedar Hill Cemetery, Philadelphia, PA 
||26 Sep 2020 |
||John Carlin, b. Abt 1824, St. Johns Canada d. 9 Oct 1887, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA (Age ~ 63 years) |
||Mary Jane Kerr, b. Nov 1830, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania d. 8 Jun 1901, Manayunk, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States (Age ~ 70 years) |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Margaret Elizabeth Murchy, b. Oct 1864, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States d. 10 Oct 1905 (Age ~ 40 years) |
||15 Jul 1887
||Philadelphia, PA [12, 13]
|+||1. Ralph Hetherlin Carlin, b. 14 May 1889, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States d. Yes, date unknown|
|+||2. Edith Carlin, b. 4 Oct 1891, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States d. 1969 (Age 77 years)|
| ||3. William R. Carlin, b. 24 Feb 1893, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States d. Jun 1969, Florida (Age 76 years)|
|+||4. Florence L. Carlin, b. 3 Oct 1897, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States d. 3 Jan 1961, Dixon, IL (Age 63 years)|
|+||5. Elizabeth Mary Carlin, b. 22 Oct 1899, Frankford, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania d. 4 Dec 1977, Cape May, Cape May County, NJ (Age 78 years)|
Family History letter to Susan Boyer.
||John William Carlin m. Margaret E. Murchy|
||Carlin 1900 US Census|
John William Carlin and family. Incorrectly spelled as Carliss.
"United States Census, 1900," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6Q4Q-VQM?cc=1325221&wc=9B7B-V89%3A1030550501%2C1036056801%2C1036223001 : 5 August 2014), Pennsylvania > Philadelphia > ED 537 Philadelphia city Ward 23 > image 25 of 26; citing NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||27 Aug 2018 |
||Ray Lindsay, b. 25 Mar 1875 d. 24 Oct 1953, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States (Age 78 years) |
||23 Aug 1919
||Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States 
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||29 May 2020 |
|Birth - 24 Aug 1864 - Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
|Living in - - Bridge Street, Philadelphia, PA
|Marriage - 15 Jul 1887 - Philadelphia, PA
|Marriage - 23 Aug 1919 - Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
|Death - 6 Sep 1920 - Clayton, NJ
|Burial - 10 Sep 1920 - North Cedar Hill Cemetery, Philadelphia, PA
||John W. Carlin family - 1920 Census|
Enumerated 6 Jan, 1920. Swedesboro Road, Franklin Township, Gloucester, NJ
John Carlin, head, 56, born PA, father born Canada (mother tongue Irish), mother born Pennsylvania. Worked in Ordnance for the government.
Ray, wife, 44, born PA, parents born PA
William, son, 25, single, born PA, parents born PA.
||1910 Census - John William Carlin family|
Enumerated 15 Apr. 1910 - 23rd Ward, District 472, Philadelphia, Hawthorn St. Philadelphia, PA
John, head, 43, born PA, parents born PA, Foreman N.S. Arsenal.
Ralph H., son, 20 born PA, parents born PA, attendant, Insane Asylum
Edith, daughter, 17, born PA, parents born PA, Operator, N.S. Arsenal.
William R., son, 14,born PA, parents born PA, laborer, saw factory.
Florence, daughter, 12, born PA, parents born PA
Mary E., daughter, 10, born PA, parents born PA
Jane C. Edel, housekeeper, 33, Mill? in Department Store
||John W Carlin family - 1900 Census|
Enumerated 4 June, 1900. Bridge St. Philadelphia, 23rd Ward, District 537.
John Carlin, head, b. Aug 1864, age 36, married 13 years, b. PA, father b.PA, mother b. PA, works in government.
Margaret E, wife, b. Oct. 1864, age 36, married 13 years, 5 children born, b. PA, father b. Ireland, mother b. PA
(below all b. PA, parents b. PA)
Ralph H., son, b. May 1889, age 11, at school
Edith, daughter, b. Oct 1891, age 8
William R., son, b. Feb 1893, age 7
Florence, daughter, b. Oct 1897, age 2
Elizabeth M., daughter, b.1899, age 7/12.
Peter Murchy, boarder, b. Sep 1863, age 36, single, born PA, parents born PA, works in government
George Murchy, boarder, b. Oct 1870, age 29, single, born PA, parents born PA, rope maker.
||John Carlin family - 1870 Census|
1870 Census enumerated 5 July, 1870, 50th district, Philadelphia County, PA. Philadelphia post office.
John Carlin, 48, Morocco Dresser, b. Canada <1822>
J. Mary, 42, keeping house, b. PA <1828>
Charles, 21, compositor, Mississippi <1849>
Kate, 19, at home, Mississippi <1851> (I have 1851)
George, 18, Morocco Dresser, Ohio <1852>
William, 16, errand boy, b. PA <1854>
Mary, 13, at school, b. PA <1857> (I have cir 1861)
John, 9, at school, b. PA <1861> (I have 1864)
Edwin, 5, b. PA <1865>
Ellen, 3, b. PA <1867>
||John Carlin family - 1860 Census|
Enumerated 14 June, 1860, Eastern part of the 17th Ward, Philadelphia county, PA p.93
John Carlin, 36, Morocco Dresser, b. Canada <1824>
Mary Jane, 30, b. PA <1830>
Charles M., 11, b. Maryland <1849>
Catharine, 9, b. Maryland <1851> (I have 1851)
George, 8, b. Ohio <1852> (first we know of him)
William, 5, b. Pennsylvania <1855> (I have name but no b. date)
Mary C. 3, b. PA <1857> (I have cir 1861)
Sarah Zeller, 60, b. PA <1800> (first we know of her)
||John William Carlin - plot card|
Plot card for John W. Carlin, Jane C. Edel, and Margaret Elizabeth Murchy.
||John Carlin - Veterans record|
United States, Veterans Administration Master Index, 1917-1940
- From The Philadelphia Press; Friday, September 10, 1920, Page 11: "CARLIN '96 Suddenly, Sept. 6, Captain JOHN CARLIN, husband of Ray L. Carlin (nee Lindsay), formerly of Frankford. Relatives and friends, also Industry Lodge, No. 131, F. and A. M., and all other organizations, are invited to attend funeral, Fri., 2 P. M., residence of his son-in-law, James E. Stevenson, 951 E. Schiller St. Services at St. Stephen's P. E. Church, Bridge and Melrose Sts., 3 P. M. Int. North Cedar Hill Cem. Friends may call Thurs., after 8 P. M."
From Dolores BORIE Stevenson's letter dated 26 Sep 1985:
"JOHN CARLIN, born 8/24/1864, died 1921 (date not known to us). He was the Commandant of the Frankford Arsenal for many years, and lived on the grounds; where his children were raised. According to his Honorary Discharge, he was called to active duty in the Army for World War I on Aug. 20, 1918. He continued to serve as Commandant, but had the title Captain of Ordnance. He was discharged Oct. 27, 1919, from Govenor's Island, New York. He apparently retired then, becuase he bought a gentleman's farm in Clayton, N.J., and died there in 1921 from a massive heart attack. My Jim remembers him, since he visited the farm as a child. He was 5 at the time of his grandfather's death. John had remarried; we called her Aunt Ray (I think her name was Rachel), and she lived to a ripe old age."
WR Boyer notes:
John Carlin was Epsicopalian. His parents or grandparents were born as Catholics in Ireland, but converted. John Carlin was a Captain in the Army in World War I. Became Base Commander of the Philadelphia Arsenal and married Mary Murchie of Ireland. Married "Rae" after the death of Mary Margaret.
1880 Census - age 15, occupation "Lamp lighter"
1900 Census living Bridge St. Philadelphia, PA [15, 16]
- [S2] John S. Howell, Jr., JSH Feb 13 2003 gedcom.
- [S563] Wendy HINSDALE Smythe.
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ email@example.com).
- [S932] Dolores Stevenson, Dolores Stevenson, (5 Twion Brooks Drive, Willow Grove, PA 19090, (as of Sep 1985)), Letter to Susan Howell dated 26 Sep 1985 - on file.
- [S1735] The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, FamilySearch.org, ((http://www.familysearch.org)), accessed 17 Jun 2020), entry for John William Carlin, person ID 9W81-DRN.
- [S690] 1870 U.S. Census, John, 9, at school, b. PA <1861> -- 1870 Census enumerated 5 July, 1870, 50th district, Philadelphia County, PA. Philadelphia post office.
- [S864] 1900 U.S. Census, Philadelphia, PA 4 Jun 1900 Census district 537, Ward 23 of City.
- [S1735] The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, FamilySearch.org, ((http://www.familysearch.org)), accessed 26 Aug 2018), entry for John William Carlin, person ID KG7K-Z7M.
- [S695] 1910 U.S. Census, John Carlin, Age 43, b. PA, parents born PA, Foreman N.S. Arsenal - no wife listed in household - Enumerated 15 Apr. 1910 - 23rd Ward, District 472, Philadelphia, Hawthorn St. Philadelphia, PA.
- [S864] 1900 U.S. Census, "bridge st.".
- [S1675] North Cedar Hill Cemetery, (Copy on file.), Plot card.
- [S864] 1900 U.S. Census, married 13 years.
- [S1702] Bridesburg Methodist (Philadelphia, PA, United States ), Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985, (http://interactive.ancestry.com/2451/40355_267594-00192?pid=6092081&treeid=&personid=&usePUB=true.), "Bridesburg Methodist Episcopal Church Marriage Recod Book," John Carlin 23 born & r. Phila, Morocco Dresser; m. Maggie E. Murchie 21 b. &r Frankford; accessed 18 Mar 2017.
- [S1819] Presbyterian Church Records, NameJohn CarlenGenderMaleEvent TypeMarriageMarriage Date23 Aug 1919Marriage PlacePhiladelphia, Pennsylvania, USAChurchOak Park United Presbyterian ChurchSpouseRay Lindsay.
- [S8] WR Boyer, 19 Jan 2004 Interview.
- [S932] Dolores Stevenson, Dolores Stevenson, (5 Twion Brooks Drive, Willow Grove, PA 19090, (as of Sep 1985)), Letter to S. Boyer Howell dated Sep 26, 1985.