1836 - Abt 1902 (65 years)
||Matthew Alonzo Howell [3, 4] |
||16 Jul 1836
||Houston Co., Georgia [5, 6, 7]
||Hancock, Hancock, Georgia, United States 
|Phillip's Georgia Legion - Infantry Battalion - Company A - The Greene Rifles |
|School teacher |
||Abt Apr 1902
||White Plains, Greene County, GA 
||White Plains Baptist Church Cemetery, White Plains, Greene Co., GA 
||8 Mar 2020 |
||1860 Census - Elmina Howell family|
White Plains, Greene County, GA - Names appear spelled as Hamill/Hawill/Howell - Elmira age 40, J M age 27, Alonzo age 24, Milla age 14 and William age 11. There is a listing above Elmina's for Jno M. Howell, no age listed, value of real estate 4,500; household value 13,700.
||The Howell Family|
by Rev. James Hines Kilpatrick, transcribed by William Heard Kilpatrick and sent to me by Scott Kilpatrick.
- From "History of Greene Co., GA" p 228:
"In 1861 the school was taught by Alonzo Howell, a native of White Plains, a former graduate of the school and a graduate of Mercer University."
"In 1863 because of a scarcity of men due to the war, the school had its first woman principal, Mrs. Emma B. Howell, who had earlier taught music in the school."
He does not appear with the rest of the family on the 1850 census of Hancock Co., GA. He would have been 12 yrs old.
Listed as Howel (one L) in 1880 census.
My Search For John Stephen Jackson notes:
"He was a Confederate soldier, serving as a Private in Co. A, Phillip's Georgia Legion.
"Alonzo joined the White Plains Baptist Church on 18 Aug 1859, but was excommunicated the next year. He was a graduate of Mercer University, and in 1861, he taught the school at White Plains, i.e. the Dawson Institute."
Kurt Graham notes :
Alonzo Howell - Enlisted 3/1/1862, Discharged 9/25/1862 at Winchester, Va. - Phillips Legion Infantry - Company A - The Greene Rifles (CSA) [14, 15, 16, 17]
- [S671] 1880 U.S. Census, White Plains, Greene Co., Georgia; living with James H. Mapp and Austira.
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ email@example.com).
- [S1451] Annie Davidson Howell, House of Howell - Version 2 - commented by TB Rice, (3 pages. Transcribed by Albert Sidney Howell (courtesy Jim Brittain, Jr.)).
- [S1450] Annie Davidson Howell, House of Howell - version 1, (Transcribed by Albert Sidney Howell (courtesy Jim Brittain, Jr.) - version 2 has slightly different content than version 1.).
- [S691] Lisa Mapp, Lisa Mapp, (Manuscript received via email 5 May, 2003), "Abt 1838".
- [S1316] William Heard Kilpatrick, William Heard Kilpatrick, (Unpublished.), The Howell Family - "16 Jul 1836".
- [S689] 1850 U.S. Census, Appears Matthew A. Howell, age 14, born GA, Census of Hanckock Co., GA - http://www.rootsweb.com/~cenfiles/ga/hancock/1850/pg0013a.txt.
- [S1701] The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, FamilySearch Family Tree (http://www.familysearch.org), ((http://www.familysearch.org)), accessed 23 Sep 2018), entry for Matthew Alonzo Howell, person ID MCZK-25F.
;Contributor: Mekinzie, firstname.lastname@example.org
- [S671] 1880 U.S. Census.
- [S691] Lisa Mapp, Lisa Mapp, (Manuscript received via email 5 May, 2003).
- [S699] Thaddeus Brockett Rice and Carolyn Williams, Rice & Williams - History of Greene Co., (IBSN 0-87152 Data by Thaddeus Brockett Rice ; edited by Carolyn White Williams (Mrs. Carlton Candler Williams) ; with new index by Margaret H. Cannon), p. 553.
- [S1370] Julia Dyar, Julia Dyar, (Lagrange, GA), "my grandmother on my mother's side was Julia Howell Marchman. She was the daughter of Mary Antoinette Parrot and Alonzo Howell" - Letter to JSHJr rc'd 2 June 2006.
- [S1370] Julia Dyar, Julia Dyar, (Lagrange, GA), "they married in 1860" - Letter to JSHJr rc'd 2 June 2006.
- [S1567] John Guy Jackson, Jr., PhD, PE, My Search For John Stephen Jackson, (2006 Southern Historical Press, Inc., Greenville, South Carolina 29602-1267. (copies may be ordered from Augusta Genealogical Society, Inc. Post Office Box 3743, Augusta, Georgia 30914-3743 (706) 722-4073. ISBN 0-89308-840-0), p. 9-21.
- [S689] 1850 U.S. Census, Does not appear - http://www.rootsweb.com/~cenfiles/ga/hancock/1850/pg0013a.txt.
- [S699] Thaddeus Brockett Rice and Carolyn Williams, Rice & Williams - History of Greene Co., (IBSN 0-87152 Data by Thaddeus Brockett Rice ; edited by Carolyn White Williams (Mrs. Carlton Candler Williams) ; with new index by Margaret H. Cannon), p. 228.
- [S1317] Kurt Graham, Kurt Graham, (email@example.com - http://www.angelfire.com/tx/RandysTexas/page4.html), http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/PhillipsLegion/InfCoA.html.