1807 - 1834 (26 years)
||Matthew Cavenah Howell [4, 5, 6] |
||20 Dec 1807
||Greene Co., GA
||15 Aug 1834
||Taliaferro County, GA
||18 Aug 1834
||Taliaferro County, GA
||Johnson Cemetery [7, 8]
||26 Apr 2020 |
||McKinney Howell, b. 1781, Halifax County, NC d. 1856, White Plains, Greene County, GA (Age 75 years) |
||Mary Johnson, "Polly", b. 1786, White Plains, Greene County, GA d. 26 Nov 1856 (Age 70 years) |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Sara Maria Simonton, b. 27 Dec 1813, Greene Co., GA d. 14 Aug 1855, White Plains, Greene County, GA (Age 41 years) |
||31 Mar 1831
||Greene Co., GA [5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13]
|+||1. Samuel Armstrong Howell, b. 22 Oct 1832, Greene Co., GA d. 30 Sep 1864 (Age 31 years)|
|+||2. Mary Jane Howell, b. 22 May 1834, Greene Co., GA d. 15 Jun 1869, White Plains, Greene County, GA (Age 35 years)|
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||18 Mar 2007 |
||1820 Census - Hanckock Co., GA p. 102|
Parts of Hancock Co. came from what was previously Greene co.
McKinney Howell family: "Mckinny Howell" household consists of 2 males 10-16, 1 male 16-26, 1 male 26-45, 1 female under 10, 1 female 26-45, 6 slaves.
The age ranges in the census match the ages of the family as we know them as follows: Matthew C. Howell would be ~13 and John J. Howell would be ~10, McKinney would be ~39, Mary Johnson would be 34. The unidentified household members are the female under 10 and the male 16-26.
||Will of Matthew Cavenah Howell|
||The Howell Family|
by Rev. James Hines Kilpatrick, transcribed by William Heard Kilpatrick and sent to me by Scott Kilpatrick.
- From William Heard Kilpatrick notes from a book which belonged to his father:
"Mattew had two children, Nancy Jane and Samuel"
From Havilah Howell Mapp:
"Matthew Cavenah Howell was named for his uncle Matthew and his grandmother whose maiden name was Cavenah"
The History of Greene County, Georgia 1786-1886,
Dr. Thaddeus Brockett Rice, The Reprint Company, Publishers, Spartenburg, South Carolina, 1979. Pages 553. Documents the marriage of Matthew C. Howell to Sarah M. Simonton on 3/31/1831 by C.P. Beeman.
Alvin Mell Lunceford, Jr., Taliaferro County Georgia Records and notes, Spartanburg, South Carolina: The Reprint Company, 1988, page 352. Cites will record A 1826-1866. Matthew C. Howell made 18 Aug 1834, probated 6 Sep 1834, page 93, wife: Sarah M., ch: Samuel Armstrong and Mary Jane Howell, executor: Wm. Johnson, test: Jesse O'Neal, Albert A. Simonton, James V. Grier. [14, 15, 16]
- Alvin Mell Lunceford, Jr., TALIAFERRO COUNTY GEORGIA RECORDS AND NOTES, Spartanburg, South Carolina: The Reprint Company, 1988, page 352. Cites will record A 1826-1866. Matthew C. Howell made 8/18/1834, probated 9/6/1834, page 93, wife: Sarah M., ch: Samuel Armstrong and Mary Jane Howell, exec: Wm. Johnson, test: Jesse O'Neal, Albert A. Simonton, James V. Grier.
- [S2] John S. Howell, Jr., JSH Feb 13 2003 gedcom.
- [S739] Kate (Lloyd) Morley, Kate (Lloyd) Morley, (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=REG&db=klloyd77. katie [email@example.com]).
- [SAuth] John Spencer Howell, Jr., John Spencer Howell, Jr., (http://www.jhowell.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org).
- [S1298] Scott Kilpatrick, Scott Kilpatrick, (Scott Kilpatrick [email@example.com]), email Feb 15, 2006 "Another statement of WHK about "McKinne Howell....It says McKinne had two sons Matthew and John".
- [S1435] Havilah Howell Mapp of White Plains, Georgia, Havilah Howell Mapp - Brief Record of Ancestral History, (L. Barlow's extracts - a copy of the original in the posession of Mrs. Henry Reid, Athens, Georgia).
- [S1813] Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Taliaferro County); Probate Place: Taliaferro, Georgia, Georgia, Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992, (Taliaferro Wills, Vol A-B, 1826-1922. Ancestry.com. Georgia, Wills and Probate Records, 1742-1992 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.
Original data: Georgia County, District and Probate Courts.), https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/8635/005761691_00013?pid=362211&backurl=https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D8635%26h%3D362211%26usePUB%3Dtrue%26_phsrc%3DsJc104%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26requr%3D281474977005568%26ur%3D0%2.
- [S731] E. H. Armor, Armor, Cemeteries of Greene Co., (1987, Agee Publishers, Inc.), p. 317.
- [S1338] Lundie Barlow - Sidney Howell - Havila Howell Chart, LBSH Chart, (A photocopy of a handwritten document given to John S. Howell, Jr. by Elizabeth Howell Traver.), "Johnson Cemetery".
- [S699] Thaddeus Brockett Rice and Carolyn Williams, Rice & Williams - History of Greene Co., (IBSN 0-87152 Data by Thaddeus Brockett Rice ; edited by Carolyn White Williams (Mrs. Carlton Candler Williams) ; with new index by Margaret H. Cannon), p. 553.
- [S1116] Dianne Wood, contributor, Greene County: Marriages by Groom 1800 - 1850, (USGenWeb
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/ga/greene/vitals/marriages/grm180050.txt), Howell, Matthew C. , Simonton, Sarah N.;31-Mar 1831 GA Greene.
- [S1205] Dodd, Jordan, Georgia Marriages to 1850, ([database online] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 1997. Electronic transcription of marriage records held by the individual counties in Georgia.), Howell, Matthew, C. - Simonton, Sarah N. 31 Mar 1831 Georgia, Greene County.
- [S1451] Annie Davidson Howell, House of Howell - Version 2 - commented by TB Rice, (3 pages. Transcribed by Albert Sidney Howell (courtesy Jim Brittain, Jr.)).
- [S1450] Annie Davidson Howell, House of Howell - version 1, (Transcribed by Albert Sidney Howell (courtesy Jim Brittain, Jr.) - version 2 has slightly different content than version 1.), "Matthew C. married Sarah Simonton a short time before this" (ie - 1832).
- [S735] Memoirs of GA V2, (1895, Atlanta, Georgia: Southern Historical Association.), p. 511-512.
- [S730] Alvin Mell Lunceford, Jr., Taliaferro Records, (1988, The Reprint Company, Spartenburg, South Carolina), page 352. Cites will record A 1826-1866. Matthew C. Howell made 18 Aug 1834, probated 6 Sep 1834, page 93, wife: Sarah M., ch: Samuel Armstrong and Mary Jane Howell, executor: Wm. Johnson, test: Jesse O'Neal, Albert A. Simonton, James V. Grier.
- [S1316] William Heard Kilpatrick, William Heard Kilpatrick, (Unpublished.), The Howell Family.